Wednesday, December 14, 2005

SCP Fall League Championship Freeroll

So last night my league held it's final tourney of the season, for a winner take all prize and the "Grand Champion" title. We play cheapy 3 hour tournaments, with usually less than 10 players... informal, but fun.

Ok so I'm coming into this second in points, which means that the point leader starts with T1000, and myself with T755, and the rest of the league behind me. Not good, but not bad either considering I really got unlucky and played pretty bad for most of the season. Still, I'm liking my chances, considering that probably only 8 or less people are going to show up to play: 6 did. I can beat 6 people.

The early going I played well, sticking hard to my strategy of not losing chips rather than trying to win them. One big key to me feeling at home in tournaments lately is the old adage: raise or fold. As someone who's been seeing a lot of low-stakes cash game action lately, where my style is to rarely have the lead in a hand, it's taken me a while to realize I need to change gears in a tournament format. Pressure = win. So I raise a lot pre-flop with hands that I normally talk myself into devaluing: A9, KJ, etc. You get reraised, you evaluate the situation and probably fold. You get called, you play the hand out however you deem best after the flop.

I scoop a bunch of chips with AJs: I raise 3x preflop, get one caller. Flop AAx. He checks, I check. Turn: x. He bets, I raise to gain information. Does he have a boat? Does he have me outkicked with the case ace? Do I have him outkicked? He calls. River: x. He checks, and with all the info I have, I push. He folds, showing an Ace.

We get down to 4 handed, with 3 of us about even and one short stack, who really isn't desperately short yet. A long time passes here with no big hands for anyone, meaning blind stealing becomes critical as the blinds are creeping way up. I either break even on blinds, or manage to gain slightly.

Then probably the hand of the night:

I hold KJo in the BB, with 2 calls in front. I check and see an AKJ rainbow flop. The small blind to my right (short stack) moves all in. I think for a bit, considering that he probably wouldn't move all in here with the straight, although a higher two pair is possible. Then again, this guy loves to raise pre flop, so if he had AK or AJ, I'd say there would be about a 90% chance or higher he would have raised, especially with so much to gain from the limp in front, and my BB behind. He doesn't have the straight, he doesn't have a better two pair, and it's very unlikely as well that he's got a set here. I have a clear call, and do so, hoping that the action behind me will be a call or fold only and we can check it down if a call. He calls.

Turn is a blank, and I'm first to act. The all-in player is acting very worried, with not the least hint of confidence in his hand. I'm almost positive I have him beat at this point, and with a monster main pot, and a dry side pot, I decide to move all in to protect my hand. The guy behind me has got to be on the broadway draw. I have him covered, and he calls. The all in player flips A5, and the other flips (I believe) KQ or AQ, either way, one pair and the draw. Now it turns out there's a ton of cards I need to dodge on the river, 4 tens, 3 fives, 2 queens, 1 or 2 aces, and the other 3 matching cards to whatever the turn was which would pair the board. River is a J, and I knock out two players, having a better than 2 to 1 chip lead on, of all people, my wife.

I'll leave out the commentary about playing heads-up poker with the human you know better than any other, but I like my position. We spar it out for a while, trading chips and rarely seeing a flop, let alone a turn, river, or showdown. My strategy here is to keep the chip lead, and try and outplay her on or after the flop where I think my reads will have the best effect. I absolutely don't want to end up all-in preflop and see who gets lucky.

I end up taking a stab though when I have almost a 3 to 1 lead on her and she pushes from the SB. I hold 33, and debate it for a while, 90% certain that she doesn't have a pair from her actions. She wants me to fold. I call knowing full well that I'm only a slight favorite to win the hand, and her JTo hits a Jack on the flop. Damn.

I end up making a great laydown on a flop with Q6 when I read strength feigned as weakness. The flop was Q53 or somesuch and she made a weak bet after I noticed one of those split second looks on her face... just a stare at the flop for a little too long. I min raise for information, and I get it when she moves all in. I fold showing top pair and telling her I know she has something good, and she shows the two pair, and I'm feeling really good now, but unhappy with her now having the about 3 to 1 lead. I'm playing good poker and making good reads.

Unfortunately, the blinds are up and I'm in critical need of a double up, and I have to abandon all hope of outplaying her on the flop. My chips are moving in preflop or not at all. I steal a couple of blinds with heads-up monsters like AK and QQ, then lose them back when she raises against garbage like 42 and 63.

The final hand I hold A2, push, get confidently called by AQ, and I'm done.

The exact situation I didn't want to be in happened, and I'm disappointed. I haven't felt this disappointed after a tournament, since I hit 3rd place in a live three-tabler walking away with barely my buy-in back and watching 1st place walk away 2 hands later with over $500, due to a stupid prize structure and ridiculously short levels.

Still, I don't think I can really play much better than I played, but feeling like you played very well and made good reads and decisions and lost, has a bittersweet effect: you can walk away knowing you succeeded in playing your best poker, but it makes the loss a lot more dissapointing than simply playing poorly and losing.

3 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hand sucked, where you knocked me out. There was no way for me to figure out you had 2 pair (you had been raising with crap like KJ all game, so I figured if you had paint, you would have raised from the BB...pressure my small stack and get some folds). I only limped cause I was small blind and figured my A was high, which it was. After the flop, there was no way I wasn't gonna lose my money there. Check raise wouldn't have worked cause I didn't have enough to actually make you fold, and with still 11 outs to 2 cards, that was my spot (only 4 orbits left).

You played really well, though I still dunno about some of the heads up plays. I just feel like, if you are confident in your ability to outplay someone post-flop, you need to be raising pre-flop. Get information (or even a blind in most cases) and when you take it down after teh flop, there is more in the pot for you. Just a thought...

Then again, you placed better than I, so what do I know?

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, I can't criticize your play on that hand at all, and once I found out what you held, your actions, and my reasoning made perfect sense. I was more worried that like Chad, you had hit a pair and the Broadway draw, which would have given you even more outs than you already had.

As for the heads up play, I felt like we both did a lot of raising from the button/SB... I know I certainly did, and I wasn't waiting around for premium hands to do so. The crappy part for me was that I never had anything good enough for a re-raise, or if I did, she ended up just folding the SB... the best I encountered do was to try my advantage with the pair side of a race, but that backfired and put us back to even money.

I know I've seen a lot of heads up play from the sidelines that annoyed the hell out of me... you just want to scream "come on! raise him/her!" etc half the time, but I've also been on the other side of that, meaning involved in the heads-up play, where the cards just don't come at the right places.

My goal was to keep myself alive and involved and let her make the mistake that would win it for me, and twice that I remember I had at least a coin flip for the win that didn't pan out. And I'm still very proud of that laydown I made with top pair... most people we play with would have busted out right then and there.

Was a good tournament all around though. I'm certainly looking forward to applying myself this spring... I'm feeling MUCH better about tournament play lately.

And someday, I will win one of those damn trophies :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was feeling really crappy about my play, but then you made that database and it showed me that I am doing just fine, and that really helped. I'll take 25% wins any time.

Regarding your heads up play, I'm sure you knew what you were doing, and I am sure you would have played differently with someone else. I can't imagine what it's like to play against your wife (or anybody to whom one is overly close). Good play certainly all night though, and that laydown with the top pair was ridiculous.

When I pushed, I knew I was gonna get a call from Chad and I was pretty sure he had the draw and a lower pair. I thought you hit a pair, but had no idea you hit 2. I keep thinking about that hand telling myself that I played it ok, but I probably should have pushed pre-flop. Oh well, I think I did ok, considering I was short stacked starting the tourney. It's always a pleasure playing with you and those guys and I'm really looking forward to next season.

The trophy will be mine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home