Monday, May 09, 2005

Truly Nice Hand

Every now and again, these dream hands actually do happen:

***** Hand History for Game 2023850028 *****
$25 NL Hold'em - Monday, May 09, 17:47:41 EDT 2005
Table Table 36605 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: cantbluffme4 ( $22.9 )
Seat 2: SpearsAgain ( $74.48 )
Seat 6: Duo_Maxwell ( $95.5 )
Seat 5: canoeguide ( $22.55 )
SpearsAgain posts small blind [$0.1].
canoeguide posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to canoeguide [ 4d 5d ]

Not a bad holding for the big blind at a short-handed NL table...

Duo_Maxwell folds.
cantbluffme4 folds.
SpearsAgain calls [$0.15].
canoeguide checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8d, 6d, 7d ]

I may or may not be exaggerating for comedic effect, but at this point I think I had an erection, not to mention a monster straight flush.

SpearsAgain checks.

Well, I want this hand to get to showdown, but I've got to hope to build the pot a little, so I'll bet the minimum. My table image at this point I would say wasn't very well defined, but I'd done some minimum betting on heads-up bluffs recently, both with success and getting caught.

canoeguide bets [$0.25].
SpearsAgain calls [$0.25].
** Dealing Turn ** [ As ]
SpearsAgain checks.

Oh boy, I can only hope that Ace paired him. At this point I clicked off the auto-muck so I could show if I won, and bet the minimum again praying for a call.

canoeguide bets [$0.25].
SpearsAgain raises [$1].

Any raise here, let alone a check-raise is exactly what I'm looking for. He has a hand of some sort. I take my time, but not too much time, and just call, because I think a raise here would be very foolish... there's virtually no scare cards that can come on the river, and he may get further help and like his hand even more. I'm hoping to represent a drawing hand, or a failed semi-bluff... something weak.

canoeguide calls [$0.75].
** Dealing River ** [ Kd ]
SpearsAgain bets [$4].

OH YES. There's a few things he could be holding here, but it doesn't take an expert to see what's most likely... he probably had a pair of Aces on the turn... and now with 4 diamonds on the board, and his big bet, it seems that he's holding the Ace of diamonds and the nut flush. If he isn't holding that (or another high diamond), he may have flopped a straight, or caught two pair... a set seems unlikely based on his actions, and really I doubt someone would lead out with such a big river bet with only two pair or a straight with a four-flush on the board: he must have a high flush. I pause just for a second or two before raising...

canoeguide raises [$8].
SpearsAgain raises [$12].

Bingo. This hand is why we play poker.

canoeguide is all-In [$13.05]
SpearsAgain calls [$5.05].
SpearsAgain shows [ Ad, Tc ] a flush, ace high.
canoeguide shows [ 4d, 5d ] a straight flush, eight high.
canoeguide wins $43.1 from the main pot with a straight flush, eight high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home