Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Bad Beats And Bad Beats

This is probably the post you can just skip and move along to somewhere more interesting on the Internet, but I need an outlet. I need to vent a little.

You hold QQ. You raise. You see a flop of J42. You bet the pot and get raised the min raise. You push. Your opponent has AJ. Turn: 2. River: J.

In a SNG, first hand dealt ITM, you hold QQ. You raise 3x BB. You get a lone caller. Flop: Q92. You bet the pot. Your opponent pushes all-in. You call. He holds: KJ. Turn: A. River. T. 3rd place. Yay.

You hold 65 of diamonds in the BB. You see a flop of 874, two spades. Someone bets $3. You raise to $9 to protect your hand. Behind you someone pushes for $28. You call. He holds T3 of spades. Turn: Spade. River: Spade.

Let's analyze this one a little, shall we? T3 guy had $.50 invested in the pot, saw a $3 bet, then a $9 raise, and shoved in $16 more on a 1 in 3 chance at a flush, of which his kicker would be a fucking TEN. I'm baffled at why in the world a T3 sooooted would even be worth 50 damn cents to begin with.

And the beats go on. I'll spare you the details.

I find myself at a point where I'm questioning making bets with the nuts, for fear of some ridiculous runner-runner suckout. No, that's not logical. And yes, I keep right on betting to protect my hand and betting for value. And the bankroll dwindles to levels I don't even want to discuss.

I know playing in NL cash games can be a high variance situation. I know that playing against morons who play T3s, and go all in on four-flushes is supposed to swing that variance my way and equate to +EV. I play tight. I avoid big confrontations (to a fault I think sometimes) unless I have the nuts or a solid read. I fold and fold waiting for flopped sets and BB-special straights, and hit the gas. And I get callers chasing crap or dominated hands. And they spike.

In NL cash games, I make mistakes, too. But it's usually a $3 bluff. Or betting into a full house with trips and not throwing on the brakes quick enough. Is it just the bad side of variance, or are there leaks I'm just not seeing? Is $25NL the wrong place for my dwindling roll?

I have no answers. In life in general, I tend to be an "ok, now what?" sort of person most of the time. I deal with the facts, fix what I can, ignore what I can't, and move on.

It's time for a break. Good luck out there.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger April said...

Have you read Zen and the Art of Poker? No strategy at all, just some helpful little reminders and such for when the bad beats keep coming.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Nope, but it's been on the list to get to for a while now... have heard decent things about it... mostly of the "it gives you starting points for things to think about" variety.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home