Monday, November 01, 2004

October Results, "Moving Up" Followup

October's results are in, and it's been a wild month for me on the poker front. I'm somewhat surprised to report the following:

Month        ITM        ROI        
August33.82%-01.72%
September38.38%10.91%
October34.92%9.09%

I'm surprised, because I thought it would be worse. Two percentages hardly tell the whole story.

October definitely saw another few steps forward in my performance. For the majority of the month, my ROI was over 20% and my ITM was less than September's... revealing that I was placing less, but placing higher for more money when I did.

12 Firsts
2 Seconds
8 Thirds

As I've said before, I'm feeling very confident in my ITM play, and the high number of first place finishes confirm that confidence. I would have likely finished the month at or above my year-end goal, had I not moved up to the $20 SNGs in the last few days.

It's been a rough ride in $20+2 land: 10 tournaments, 2 ITM, and an embarassing number of 7+ finishes. There's no easy all-encompassing reason for this poor performance so far. I know I played at least a few games recklessly... pushing for big pots when I should have been trying to minimize pot size. I know I hit a few bad beats. I know I tried bluffing too much and in bad spots. I think overall I've been guilty of a mentality of trying to win the whole tournament on one hand, instead of chipping away (pun intended) at the opponents' stacks.

I still hold to my earlier assumption that the competition is only slightly better on average than the type to be encountered at the $10 level, if at all. It does seem that there are more patient players on the whole... but it should be noted that I'm only basing this on 10 tables so far, which is hardly enough to make a very confident analysis.

I did end the month on a nice positive note: my first first-place at the $20 level. I had been starting to really feel the $22 bankroll hits, and nothing felt better than collecting $100. That confidence boost may have been just what I needed to get my play back on track, and start nailing this level. November will tell.

3 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, will be reading and following your exploits moving up a level very closely. Good luck.

Do you have an email address you can be reached at?

BP

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Me said...

How are you calculating your numbers? I think you talked about it in a previous post, but if you had an excel spreadsheet, I'd like to start doing that myself.

Thanks!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I had been of the mind to keep this blog reasonably anonymous, and I'm not really sure why. However, there's already a slew of folks who know who I am, and with having no real concrete reasons for the anonymity:

poker {{at}} komlenic {{dot}} com

Mike, as for excel spreadsheets, yes I do use one that I tossed together (and keep adding features as I need them), but it's the kind of horrible kludge which requires me to go back in and edit formulas to get certain results, and I'd hate to unleash that on someone else :)

You've got me thinking though, and I'm keen to put something more graceful together that anyone could use. Hell, maybe I'll even whip up a slick little standalone program for the purpose, and use some of my programming knowledge that's sitting idle. Or just a spreadsheet.

For now, ITM is simply: number of ITM finishes / number of SNGs played

And ROI is:

((Total Prizes / Total Buy-in and Entry Fees)-1)*100

So if you spent $200.00 on Buy-in's etc, and won $250:

((250/200)-1)*100 = 25.00% ROI

Hope that helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home