Friday, October 29, 2004

Moving Up

I have spoken before about being a little wary of moving from the $10 SNGs to the $20 ones, even though the level of play is generally thought to be not that much better, and in theory, double the profit is likely. The $20 SNGs are something that I've had my eyes set on for a long time, for the above reasons. I'm not looking to become a millionare playing poker, but I'd like to be able to pay myself a respectable hourly rate, and a big part of that is advancing a notch or two in levels. (To date I haven't been calculating rate/hour, but I plan to start in the month of November.)

So I have been telling myself that I'm not ready to make that jump from $10 to $20... planning on waiting for the "right" time. I've tried a few $20 SNGs here and there just for fun, but never placed in any, though that really signifies nothing when the sample size is only 2 or 3. I realize this. I also realize that I once said that in order to be properly bankrolled for long term SNG success, you should have a minimum of 10x the buy-in + entry fee, and to be even more secure, 20x.

To play the $20+$2 Party SNGs I should have at least $440 in my bankroll. I do. I also know that I've been absolutely *hammering* the $10 SNGs in October... (not a great ITM this month, but my ROI has been over 25% several times, all time highs for me). I got down within $30 of my year end goal recently and should have no problems making it in the next 2 months.

Yesterday I made the jump to the $20 SNGs.

So far I've made three 6th places, and one encouraging 2nd that could have just as easily been a first had luck been on my side. You'll hear poker players, and poker bloggers, often give standard excuses for poor results, and sometimes they are accurate... I took a few bad beats in those three 6th places. Once I flopped TPTK on a Q22 board, and lost at showdown when my opponent revealed Td2d for trip deuces. The pot had been raised pre-flop. I said "T2?" in the chat box and he replied, "You wouldn't play suited cards for 100 chips?". No. No I wouldn't. Not when they are a ten and a two.

Later, trying to climb back into things, I caught wired aces, pushed my small stack in, got one caller who held T9o, and lost on the river when he made two pair. The good news is, generally speaking, the play at the $20 level appears to indeed be not that much better than at $10. There is however a feeling I get... perhaps some of it is apprehension at the thought of losing back parts of my roll twice as fast as I gained it, but I do sense some better play over all at this level. Less rookie mistakes. More patience. Trickier play. But I don't think it's really that significant. I can win here long term. I am 99% certain. Those are good odds, considering I play a game where the best starting hand is only a 75% favorite and can quite easily lose to a T9o.

We'll see how this goes. I just hope I have the patience to ride out the 7 or 8 game out-of-the-money streak that I suspect is coming to teach me a lesson. I know I can win here, but having the courage to keep dropping $22 a pop when things aren't going so great will be the test.

10 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Also just a little note for myself (relevant to the above hands and my play in general so far at the $20 level):

Don't assume players are better at this level than lower ones: I need to play the same game I've been playing at $10.

And if things get bad somehow (mentally), I can always drop back down and build the roll. Just don't cave in prematurely.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I have been playing the 20$ Limit tourneys lately as a diversion. I find them to be easy. I have finished 1st-3rd 70-80% of the time. They take a little longer, but if you play them the same way you would a normal ring game you can win. You also need to lay off a little in the beginning, and really make some moves when it becomes more like an NL game around the 100/200 level.
Keep trying though! It was fun hanging with you!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Almost forgot: Martinsville, WV.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Me said...

It's funny you mentioned moving up, because I'm considering moving up from the $5 SNGs at party to the $10 SNGs.

I'm up over $300 this month on the $5 SNGs alone, and I play four a day — two before work and two after work.

I've read here on your blog that the $5 SNGs, you're wasting the extra 50 cents, but still, I'm leery of moving up to the $10 SNGs.

Hit me up on AIM sometime, please. SN is phatladok

thanks

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Mike, I'll be happy to look you up sometime when I'm logged into AIM... I'm always hard up for people to talk about poker with, let alone SNG players. For now though: I'd *DEFINITELY* move up to the $10 SNGs, if I were you.

With what you said about your performance so far this month, I can guarantee that you'll have ZERO problems at the $10 level. There is very very very little difference in the quality of players you'll encounter, if any at all. So long as you have a bankroll to support the jump (I recommend $220 or more for $10 SNGs, which I'm sure you have), then go for it and play exactly like you would in the $5 ones that you've been winning at.

It's simple, you invest twice as much, your ROI remains the same, you double your profit. Best of luck!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Me said...

Thanks. I guess I'll give one a shot when I get home from work in a couple hours. I work 3 p.m. to 1 a.m., central time.

My nick on PP is phatlad.

Thanks for the input.

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Me said...

I forgot to mention I play exclusively PL, as opposed to NL.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ahh, I've yet to play in any PL events, though I'm curious to try a few sometime when I'm feeling up to it. Do you find them easier than NL, or do you just prefer the format?

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Me said...

I like them FAR better than NL, but they are more suited toward my game, I think.

I really never want to be in a position to where all my chips are on the line.

I am a SUPER tight player and very patient. I believe PL rewards patience, as opposed to "heave 'em and pray."

Weirdly enough, I played in a $5 SNG yesterday and played about as poor as I can play, and still took second. I won just one hand before the table went down to three.

Of course, that was a weird table, obviously.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Chris said...

FYI, stumbled upon this article discussing PL vs NL by Andy Glazer:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13645

 

Post a Comment

<< Home