Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Norman Chad And Poker One-Liners

Norman Chad, one of this year's WSOP commentators on ESPN, appears to be a "love him or hate him" kind of guy. I think a lot of people are confusing the televised WSOP with something "educational" or a real sporting event, where they actually show the whole contest and viewers expect some insightful and analytical commentary. The WSOP on TV is pretty much entertainment, and entertainment only... you're only seeing the choice hands where players make big moves or bad moves... not the 5000 folded hands in-between. So, with that in mind, I expect to be entertained, and half of that for me is Norman Chad's array of one-liners, even the 200 he uses that are about his ex-wife.

Tonight's big one for me was when someone flopped some overcards holding JJ, his opponent bet big, and the player holding JJ yelled in disgust, "Oh, F*#k!" Then Chad responds with a sarcastic tone, "...Is that a tell?"

Another one I liked a few weeks back was when someone folded a medium pocket pair to a smallish bet where most people would have gladly called or re-raised. Chad responded, "I bet this guy still has the first dollar he ever made too" in disgust at the person's tight play.

Perhaps best of all are the times where Chad is unrelenting in his heckling of the heckle-deserving Phil Helmuth. It's entertainment, and I mostly enjoy Chad's one-liners, if for no other reason that he gives me some new material to use at the neighborhood game.

1 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WSOP wouldn't be the same without him. He cracks me up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home