Sunday, January 21, 2007

Multi-Table Tournaments

At another web place last July, I chimed in an answer to a question like "where will you be 1 year from now", and on that short list of goals, I remember throwing in something about taking more shots at multi-table tournaments (MTTs) online.

If you've been following along, and I don't know who this might even apply to, I started poker online hitting the single-table sit-and-gos pretty hard, eventually migrating to short-handed cash games. But along the way, I've hit a few freerolls and other big MTTs, and really seem to do well in such a format.

Last night, needing a break from some work and rather on a whim (perhaps with last July's goal in mind) I jumped into a 90-player deep-stack $1.25 entry-fee MTT on FullTilt, and won. (netting a life-changing $21.25) Probably the most amazing part of the tournament was sitting three-handed with ~25k in chips, with an 18k stack and a (lucky) but huge 200k+ stack. I busted Mr. 18k, and buckled down to drill into this huge lead that my heads-up (and loose) opponent had. I eventually worked up to a 1:2 deficit, then we did the 2:1 flip and I was in front. Next hand after the flip, my tilting opponent shoved with 98o and I called with AJo to finish the deal.

In around a half hour at midnight, I'm enrolled in a $10+1 $8k Guarantee, currently with ~180 players registered (and growing). My goal is simply to cash, but $1536 sure isn't bad for first, with some bankroll boosting numbers for any mid-to-top final-table seat. I'll post updates in the comments so check there for how this all turned out.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Tough tournament: entrants *way* up in the last few minutes as expected.

Total entrants: 799
Places paid: 126 (~16%, which ain't bad)

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Out to an early good start, level 2... made some money flopping good with QQ and stacking top pair with a flush draw when I turned a set.

686 left, ranked 44th, T3145

Not bad.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Eww... took some beats, that's for sure knocking me back to something just above T1100.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Chris said...

This is the part where I realize the brutality of tournaments. TT on a 733 flop, a loose player who got it all in preflop a few hands earlier with A5o (and doubled through AK). He bets pot, I shove, his Aces hold.

Eh well. More shots soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home